In partnership with St George TAFE Outreach, Macedonian Australian Welfare Association established a Macedonian Grandparents Support Group where the group offered Macedonian grandparents assistance with their caring role for their grandchildren. Positive feedback was received from grandparents about the increased knowledge and skills they gained.
Grandparents were provided with information, resources and networking opportunities to support them in being a grandparent. They learnt about way to improve their knowledge and skills in:
- Improved grandparenting and family relationships skills
- Improved skills for communication with their grandchildren
- Increased awareness of issues facing elderly/grandparents and younger people/ grandchildren in all stages of life
- Increased education on the impacts of alcohol and other drugs
- Knowledge about issues such where to get help with grand-parenting
Grandparents also increased their support networks with other grandparents in similar situations, which we understand are continuing after the forum.